The hospital was founded in July 1997 to as a comprehensive eye care facility with the main hospital located in Loresho Westlands District, Nairobi County. LSEH focuses on economically disadvantaged groups of the society in rural and urban areas extending its services to them through community outreach programs. The Eye Hospital has a general outpatient service with 8 consulting rooms to serve walk-in patients with a large reception and waiting shed which can accommodate over 200 patients. The general clinic is offered at a highly subsidized rate. The hospital also has 2 fully equipped main theaters, 2 minor theaters and a separate male and female general ward which accommodates 66 patients at a time.
Since establishment in 1997, LSEH has:
- Served over 2.0 million people with 70% of the services provided free of cost to the patients.
- Held over 4,000 eye screening camps and conducted over 86,325 free sight restoration cataract surgeries.
- Harvested over 3500 donor corneas and transplanted over 1500 donor corneas of them majority to the needy patients.
- Started the first ever Eye Bank in East and Central Africa to process, store, analyze and issue the tissues for transplant.
- Started an ultra-modern LASIK Centre to cater for patients with refractive errors.
- Recognized by the Medical Practitioners and Dentist Board as a specialized Training Centre.
- Established a fully equipped Vitreoretinal Clinic.
- Established a state of the art Dental Care clinic conveniently located within the Lions Service Centre and offers a full range of dental services for adults and children.
- Established an ENT and Hearing Centre catering for all patients with hearing problems as well as providing quality hearing aids to the patients. In collaboration with doctors from Sweden, the clinic performs regular camps twice a year to provide surgery to those with complicated hearing loss.